Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Oct 10, Just back from trip to Ozarks

Friday Oct, 5, RJ Vogelsburg and I met at CJ Express and started on a 5 day trip to the Arkansas Ozarks. We left at 8AM as scheduled. Our intentions were to get to Branson early the first day and ride for a few hours around the area. Our trip to Springfield was uneventful but the traffic in town was really bad. We looked for and found a biker bar on the south side of town. It was 3:15 when we got there and they opened at 4 so we went on. The bar, (Riverside or something like that) was definitely set up for bikes. The parking, up-close was for bikes only. There was even a special area setup for burnouts. We headed down 160 to Branson. 160 is a back way to Branson. A couple miles south of Nixa we were behind a string of cars and an old car pulling a trailer with lawnmowers. Suddenly the guy pulling the trailer stops to pull into his driveway. The three cars ahead of us and I got stopped but RJ was enjoying the view of the farms. By the time he saw everyone stopped it was to late. He dropped his bike and slid on the asphalt. He got up with some strawberries and handlebars bent. After the cops came and wrote up the accident a Nixa city employee helped us get the bike rideable and gave us the phone number of a friend in Branson that could replace the handlebars.
Some where during this time RJ's phone had rang and he'd found out one of his barns had burned down.
When we arrived in Branson and after checking in to the Riverboat Motel, RJ decided he could ride the bike without replacing the bars. We went to the drugstore, got some bandages and pain pills then got something to eat.

Saturday we rode east to 125 and headed to Arkansas. Just into Arkansas we took the ferry across Bull Shoals. At Harrison we rode Highway 7 to Hot Springs. (Highway 7 is listed as one of the 10 Most Scenic Highways in the US) Hot Springs was celebrating Octoberfest.

Sunday we rode to Fayetteville. The scenery between Danville and Paris was outstanding. I recommend this section of Arkansas to anyone.

Monday, RJ had decided to head home to find out more about the barn and get his bike damage estimated before going back to work Tues eve. (OK I'll ride aways with you) He wanted to go up 99 in Kansas to look at the farms south of Emporia. I suggested going over to Oklahoma and up. From Fayetteville we went over to Siloam Springs which is on the OK border. By the time we got gas and RJ said he had better put his rain gear on, the sky opened up and the rain was POURING down. Since it was nice and sunny in Fayetteville when the rain let up some I said goodbye to RJ and took off going east again. Instead of sun I ran into the pouring rain and was soaked by the time I got 20 miles. I wasn't to far from Fayetteville and the Chief Motel we had stayed at the night before so I went back and checked in. The rain let up about 2PM so I had time to go by Altell and find out that my phone worked fine while I was around their office but after they closed the phone quit too. I got to ride some but did watch a lot of the Beaver, I Love Lucy and Andy Griffith.

Tues. It was up and on the road at 7. It was cold and so foggy you really had to watch yourself. There must have been close to 100 schools getting out of Fayetteville to Highway 45. After a couple hours on 45 it had warmed up and the fog had lifted. The ride and the scenery to Eureka Springs was very good. While I ate breakfast in Eureka at the Pancake Place (most of it's decor was Studebaker stuff, left by previous owner) I looked at the telephone book for an old Navy buddy but he must have left town (since 1963). I had no specific plans after Eureka Springs but since Aurora Missouri was on the way home I decided to look up a Studebaker friend that sold Studebaker parts and get a upper radiator hose for our Studebaker Hawk. Myron didn't have one so we called Lester in Lebanon. Lester had a hose. Lebanon is only SOME out of the way home and since I didn't have to be home today I'll go see Lester. Lester is the guy that has to show you everything he has and talk your leg off before getting around to getting your part. (that's not all bad) We had talked about Studebakers he had in 1963 and I had looked at his new shed that he had built since I had been at his place last. When he said come on in the house Wendy made some cookies and wants to show you her new potter's wheel, I said I needed to get the hose and start home. Then we started talking about our friend Vic Collingham, there goes another 15, 20 minutes. I knew it was 2:15 and it takes 6 hours to get home. A no brainer and I head home. Going through KC from 5 to 6 is not the best time but at least I was going the right direction. (I would NEVER live or work anywhere if I had to put up with traffic like that) Got home around 8:15 and I was pretty cold and tired by then.
Overall the trip was outstanding and the roads and scenery great. Hope RJ heals up soon and will be ready and willing to ride again.

No comments: